Brussels is the capital and residential city of the Kingdom of Belgium (+ history). In the city you can find among other things the headquarters of the European Union (consequently, numerous international companies, associations, cultural institutions and embassies), wich turn it into a major economic, scientific and cultural center with an international atmosphere.
The city has around 1.1 million inhabitants. Roughly 30% of the city's total population is foreign. The numerous immigrants from the erstwhile Belgian colony of Congo and former guest workers from Morocco and Turkey contribute to its inclusive envioronmet.
The culture is very present in Brussels. From the moment you walk around the town, call attention a murals of Belgium comig characters that preside many of of the facades and give the EU capital chic and cosmopolitan touch with a lot of charm.
Right in the heart of Europe, Brussels has superb air, road and rail connections. More than 60 million Europeans live within 300km of Brussels, less than two hours by high-speed train. For those who fly in, it takes only 20 minutes from the airport to the city centre. And when you have arrived, it's easy to move around the compact city, by public transport or on foot.
Brussels Airlines is offering
you 10% discount for flights to Brussels from over 40 European
destinations, Moscow and Tel Aviv. Book onwww.brusselsairlines.com and enter this promotion code: 11116589 and 24% discount if you are
coming for the 24th anniversary from 31 October till 3 November !
Book on www.brusselsairlines.com and enter this promotion code: LADEMENCE24
Belgium used to belong to the countries in Europe with a very conservative attitude towards gays until the mid-1990s and then became one of the most progressive countries regarding gay rights within only 10 years. Its inclusive envioronmet allows that the gay area is integrated into the beautiful and pictuaresque city center, where The Mansion is located.
Brussels in figures
•The conurbation covers a total surface area of 16,179 ha.
• The population has around 1.1 million inhabitants. Roughly 30% of the city's total population is foreign.
• The city's green spaces (parks - woods - forest) account for 11.4% of the region's territory.
• The time is GMT +1 in winter GMT + 2 in summer
• Brussels has a temperate, maritime climate.
• The average temperature in summer is
± 16°Celsius (± 60° Fahrenheit).
• The average winter temperature is ± 3°Celsius (± 37° Fahrenheit).
• Brussels's central boulevards are 15 m above sea level, Place Madou is 52 m above sea level, and the area between Forest and Duden parks is 100 m above sea level.
• A motorway ring road (RING) has been built roughly 6 km from the centre of Brussels to make both transit and entry into the city easier.
• Belgian Centre for Comic Strip Art
• Royal Museums of Fine Arts
• Museum of Natural Sciences
• Mini-Europe / Océade
• Musical Instruments Museum
• Royal Museums of Art and History - Cinquantenaire Museum
• Royal Museum of the Army and Military History
• Atomium• BOZAR