Jerusalem is unique among the cities of the world, with special, although differing, claims on the religious and cultural sentiments of millions of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. It is holy for the three monotheistic religions because of religiously significant events that took place in the city. Visiting Jerusalem is part of our Mansion Experience in Israel, which you can book here. Follows some “fun facts” about the city.
1. Jerusalem has 1,578 public gardens and parks.
2. On average 1,100 tons of trash are picked up and thrown away and 8,500 km of road are swept daily.
3. Jerusalem has over 2,000 archeological sites.
4. There are over 30,000 volunteer workers in Jerusalem
5. Jerusalem has over 70 cultural centers that teach art, music, poetry, literature, and performance to young people.
6. There are more than 60 museums in Jerusalem.
7. There are 90 hotels in Jerusalem hosting over 9,000 hotel rooms.
8. There are 30 annual festivals in Jerusalem, the most in all of Israel.
9. There are 26 wineries in Jerusalem.
10. A lion is the emblem of the municipality of Jerusalem.
11. Throughout Jewish history, Jews have wanted to be buried on Mount of Olives. There is estimated to be about 150,000 graves dating back to the 15th century till now.
12. There are 7 open gates in the Old City of Jerusalem.
13. Jerusalem is the focal point of the three Jewish holidays of Sukkot, Pesach, and Shavuot.
14. In the days of Abraham, Jerusalem was called Shalem.
15. The First Temple was overseen by 3,300 men and built by 150,000 Jewish workers.
16. King David was buried on Mount Zion.
17. There are over 6,000 species of plants in the Jerusalem Botanical Gardens.
18. The length of the wall surrounding the old city is 4 kilometers.
ps.: you can read other curiosities about Tel Aviv in this blog. I hope you enjoy it.